Friday, September 2, 2011

Back in the saddle again ...

Another milestone.  I worked a full week this week! 

Granted, I'm not putting in the 60 - 70 hour weeks that I was regularly clocking before I found out that I was sick (do you believe what it took to get me to slow down?!)  Working full-time for a successful high tech company (www.vidyo.com ) requires a level of energy and stamina that I hope to eventually return to ... but I hope NEVER to revisit the kind of work stress that I was experiencing prior to my diagnosis. 

My company and colleagues have been supportive beyond belief ... I am so very fortunate to receive this kind of understanding and support.  Which is all the more reason that I want to get in as much work as I can when I'm feeling able.  The only rather frightening aspect of this is the "chemo brain" phenomenon.  It is a REAL physiological thing and it does make what I do extra challenging. 

What I do more than anything else is WRITE.  And while it's relatively easy to jabber on in a stream-of-consciousness mode for this blog ... it's quite another thing to try to muster up the brain power and focus to write a coherent press release or business case study.  Needless-to-say I have to double and triple check everything that I do -- and I've caught a few major ummmmm ... shall we say boo-boos ... ranging from grammatical inconsistencies to downright nonsensical gibberish.  It's more than a bit disconcerting. 

However ... the bottom line is that I am able to sit up at my desk (I have the great fortune to be able to work out of my home office) for more than 15 minutes  - even more than an hour - at a time and almost feel like a productive, contributing member of the human race.  Hallelujah!

3 comments:

Julie Daley said...

Dear Benita,
I love your blog and that you're blogging, sharing your journey with us. So glad to hear you have some energy to write and work.
Sending you love,
Julie

Ria Baeck said...

I just came here, only to read two blog postings. Thanks for sharing! Know that writing your blog is more than enough production/contribution!!! Don't fall into the trap of believing that you need to work hard before you deserve life. That's nonsense. Life is there to be lived, not to be worked.
I guess...

cellohead said...

Woot!!