Sunday, September 25, 2011

With a song in my heart ....

Probably more than I need to return to any aspect of my "previous" life ... I need to get back to my music.  Writing music, singing, playing ... sometimes performing  - that is the common thread that has held my life together since I was a young child. 


Music has seen me through some very rough times - severed relationships, broken hearts, financial challenges, the loss of my parents and other loved ones - and the usual variety of feeling lonely, bewildered and lost.  More than any other kind of therapy  - music has saved me time and time again.  I honestly can't imagine getting through life's roller coaster without being able to pick up my guitar, sit down at the piano ... or lift my voice in song.  I have been so blessed with this gift - and I so often take it way too for granted.


For obvious reasons, I've had to take a bit of a hiatus - and I've missed it terribly.  I have conjured up several melodies in my head ... some lyrics now and then ... but have not had the inclination (focus, more likely) to follow through.  More than anything else, I am praying that I'll be able to get back that *thing* that I lack at present - that will enable me to create again.  More than anything else - THAT is what will make me feel like ME again.


Perhaps once all of this poison is out of my system. 


Tuesday is my last chemo treatment.  Dreading it ... but singing hallelujah at the same time. 

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Go for it, Benita! Remember, Beethoven made it through - and he didn't even have a uterus...

cellosopher said...

Nice Point, Margaret . . . So much to be said for the therapeutic value of music ... Well or no, the Muse enlightens the soul... Sing, Benita, Sing!. . . . Look forward to singing (and stringing) with you again soon.

Andy Noooooooosebum said...

Sing (ba da da da da)
Sing a song (ba da da da da)
Let the World .... sing a long!!!!
Sing of good times, not bad ...
Sing of happy, not sad.
Just sing (ba da da da da)
Sing a song (ba da da da da) ...

I can always picture the muppets singing this tune.
Love you,
Andy

Alexandra said...

You've always had a beautiful song in your heart Benita. It's a rare blessing...given to you.....and shared with the rest of us. Remember the "Concert at Linwood Park" and all the $$$ we raised?? How old were we....10??? Keep singing...the best is yet to come!!

phyllis Grazine said...

Nothing can stop our creative artists' selves. On Tuesday, just know my heart and all your great friends hearts are waiting for that next brilliant Song of yours.

Anonymous said...

trying to think of what to say....and then i allowed the bird singing outside to penetrate my thoughts...like hearing u sing, seporah (bird in hebrew), sweet, clear, consciousness altering....glad u're in my life. luvann